The Lower Limb Clinical Workstream is developing recommendations and information to support the prevention and care of leg and foot ulcers.
The workstream is responsible for:
- Scoping the evidence base to identify current relevant evidence.
- Drafting evidence-informed recommendations to reduce unwarranted variation, improve safety and optimise patient experience and outcomes.
- Identifying evidence gaps where further research is needed.
- Identifying areas of unmet need to inform innovation.
- A set of Lower Limb Recommendations (including flowchart).
- An Implementation Case for ‘Preventing and Improving Care of Chronic Lower Limb Wounds and Lower Limb Improvement Assessment.
- A minimum data set for Lower Limb Assessment.
- Resources for clinicians, patients and carers to support lower limb care.
- In consultation with NHS England and NHS Improvement, a Lower Limb CQUIN for Community Nursing Services. Further information for organisations wishing to implement the CQUIN can be found through the NHS Futures NWCSP platform. To request access, please email NatWoundStrat@yhahsn.com
- In consultation with NHS England and NHS Improvement, recommendations about lower limb care are now included in the Framework for Enhanced Health in Care Homes.
- NHS England and NHS Improvement – Evidence-Based Interventions: Guidance for CCGs
- Information about post-registration/postgraduate wound care education for wound care specialist clinicians.
- The NWCSP Education workstream commissioned Skills for Health to lead the development of a draft multi-professional National Wound Care Core Capabilities Framework for England. This framework aims to be a single, consistent and comprehensive framework, developed by and for a multi-professional audience and contains the core capabilities which identify and describe the knowledge and skills required by health and care practitioners to deliver high-quality, personalised wound care.
Work in progress:
- The NWCSP Lower Limb workstream is working with NWCSP Data and Information workstream to identify key metrics and data collection systems to improve lower limb data and information.
- The NWCSP Lower Limb workstream is working with the NWCSP Education and Workforce Workstream and Health Education England to develop 1) National, free to access online learning materials for people caring for lower limb wounds who are not wound care specialist clinicians and 2) A national capability framework for wound care.
Click here to see the list of Lower Limb workstream members.
If you would like to be involved in the consultations on the work of this workstream, please sign up to a Stakeholder Forum here,