The Lower Limb Clinical Workstream is developing recommendations and information to support the prevention and care of leg and foot ulcers.
The workstream is responsible for:
- Scoping the evidence base to identify current relevant evidence.
- Drafting evidence-informed recommendations to reduce unwarranted variation, improve safety and optimise patient experience and outcomes.
- Identifying evidence gaps where further research is needed.
- Identifying areas of unmet need to inform innovation.
Outputs from the Lower Limb Workstream:
- A draft set of Lower Limb Recommendations.
- A draft minimum data set for Lower Limb Assessment.
- Resources for clinicians, patients and carers to support lower limb care.
- In consultation with NHS England and NHS Improvement, a Lower Limb CQUIN for Community Nursing Services. Further information for organisations wishing to implement the CQUIN can be found through the NHS Futures NWCSP platform. To request access, please email NatWoundStrat@yhahsn.com
- In consultation with NHS England and NHS Improvement, recommendations about lower limb care are now included in the Framework for Enhanced Health in Care Homes.
- Information about post-registration/postgraduate wound care education for wound care specialist clinicians.
Work in progress:
- The NWCSP Lower Limb workstream is currently developing a business case for implementing the Lower Limb Recommendations. This will be shared when completed.
- The NWCSP Lower Limb workstream is working with NWCSP Data and Information workstream to identify key metrics and data collection systems to improve lower limb data and information.
- The NWCSP Lower Limb workstream is working with the NWCSP Education and Workforce Workstream and Health Education England to develop 1) National, free to access online learning materials for people caring for lower limb wounds who are not wound care specialist clinicians and 2) A national capability framework for wound care.
Click here to see the list of Lower Limb workstream members.
If you would like to be involved in the consultations on the work of this workstream, please sign up to a Stakeholder Forum here, Stakeholder Forum.