- Scoping the evidence base to identify current relevant evidence
- Drafting evidence-informed recommendations to reduce unwarranted variation, improve safety and optimise patient experience and outcomes
- Identifying evidence gaps where further research is needed
- Identifying areas of unmet need to inform innovation.
The surgical wounds clinical workstream is working closely with the Getting It Right First Time (GIRFT) programme.
We have agreed that our initial priorities should be:
- To make recommendations to support optimal implementation of existing guideline recommendations for preventing and treating post-surgical wound complications (eg NICE SSI Guidelines)
- To describe optimal management pathways for the following surgical wounds healing by secondary intention:
- Planned healing by secondary intention;
- Unplanned healing by secondary intention (eg dehiscence).
To achieve this:
- The Research Evidence Workstream is providing us with information about the relevant national guidelines, Cochrane systematic reviews, and NIHR funded primary research studies.
- We are currently seeking examples of relevant reputable clinical guidelines (eg NICE) and existing audit tools for evaluating the incidence, prevalence and management of surgical wounds healing by secondary intention.
The Committee membership consists of:
Jacky Edwards – Chair – Consultant Nurse(Burns) Manchester Foundation Trust
Mr. John Abercrombie – General &Coloractal Surgeon, GIRFT Lead (General Surgery) – Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham
Professor Ian Chetter – Consultant Vascular Surgeon, Hull-York Medical School
Professor Matt Costa – Professor of Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery, University of Oxford
Professor Alun Davies – Professor of Vascular Surgery, Imperial College London
Ken Dunn – Consultant Burn and Plastics, GIRFT Lead (Burns and Plastic) -Manchester FT
Sian Fumarola – TVN, University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust
Dr Jemell Geraghty – TVN, Royal Free Hospital
Dr Simon Harrison – GIRFT Lead (Urology) – Mid Yorkshire NHS Trust
Ansar Mahmood – Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedics, University Hospitals Birmingham
Andrew Marshall – Consultant ENT surgeon, GIRFT Lead (ENT) – Nottingham University Hospital
Thomas Pinkney – Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, University Hospitals Birmingham
Shahzad Raja – Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Royal Brompton and Harefield
Melissa Rochon – Quality and Safety Lead, Royal Brompton and Harefield
Heidi Sandoz – TVN, Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
Professor Peter Vowden – Vascular Surgery, University of Bradford
Ibby Younis – Consultant Plastic Surgeon, GIRFT – Royal Free Hospital
Allison Beal – GIRFT – Director of Special Projects
Dr Cherrie Ho – GIRFT (SSI)
Marie Morton – Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial,GIRFT Lead (Oral & MaxilloFacial)
Professor Jo Dumville – Applied Health Research, University of Manchester
Rhiannon Macefield – Senior Research Associate, University of Bristol
If you would like to be involved in the consultations on the work of this workstream, please sign up to a Stakeholder Forum here. Stakeholder Forum.