- Scoping the evidence base to identify current relevant evidence
- Drafting evidence-informed recommendations to reduce unwarranted variation, improve safety and optimise patient experience and outcomes
- Identifying evidence gaps where further research is needed
- Identifying areas of unmet need to inform innovation.
The surgical wounds clinical workstream is working closely with the Getting It Right First Time (GIRFT) programme.
We have agreed that our initial priorities should be:
- To make recommendations to support optimal implementation of existing guideline recommendations for preventing and treating post-surgical wound complications (eg NICE SSI Guidelines)
- To describe optimal management pathways for the following surgical wounds healing by secondary intention:
- Planned healing by secondary intention;
- Unplanned healing by secondary intention (eg dehiscence).
To achieve this:
- The Research Evidence Workstream is providing us with information about the relevant national guidelines, Cochrane systematic reviews, and NIHR funded primary research studies.
- We are currently seeking examples of relevant reputable clinical guidelines (eg NICE) and existing audit tools for evaluating the incidence, prevalence and management of surgical wounds healing by secondary intention.
The Committee membership consists of:
Jacky Edwards – Chair – Manchester Foundation Trust
John Abercrombie – GIRFT Lead (General Surgery) – Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham
Ian Chetter – Hull-York Medical School
Matt Costa – University of Oxford and Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics
Alun Davies – Imperial College London
Ken Dunn – GIRFT Lead (Burns and Plastic) -Manchester Foundation Trust
Sian Fumarola – University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust
Jemell Geraghty – Royal Free Hospital
Simon Harrison – GIRFT Lead (Urology) – Mid Yorkshire NHS Trust
Ansar Mahmood – University Hospitals Birmingham
Andrew Marshall – GIRFT Lead (ENT) – Nottingham University Hospital
Thomas Pinkney – University Hospitals Birmingham
Shahzad Raja – Royal Brompton and Harefield
Melissa Rochon – Royal Brompton and Harefield
Heidi Sandoz – Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
Peter Vowden – University of Bradford
Ibby Younis – GIRFT – Royal Free Hospital
Allison Beal – GIRFT – Director of Special Projects
Cherrie Ho – GIRFT (SSI)
Marie Morton – GIRFT Lead (Oral & Maxillo-Facial)
Jo Dumville – University of Manchester
Rhiannon Macefield – University of Bristol
If you would like to be involved in the consultations on the work of this workstream, please sign up to a Stakeholder Forum here. Stakeholder Forum.