The Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) was an NHS England programme that ran up to April 2021, to accelerate adoption of innovative medical devices, diagnostics, and digital products by removing some of the financial and procurement barriers.
Whilst national funding is no longer provided, the Accelerated Access Collaborative is encouraging NHS trusts to sustain these innovations through local funding agreements.
The products are listed below – NHS trusts that would like support to develop their own local business cases or evaluations to enable sustained adoption, are invited to contact their local AHSN.
ITP themes (up to 31 March 2021):
- Placental growth factor (PIGF) based tests help rule out pre-eclampsia quickly so that pregnant women receive the most appropriate care – now being supported by the Med Tech Funding Mandate (MTFM)
- HeartFlow FFRCT – analysis creates a 3D model of the coronary arteries to help clinicians to rapidly diagnose patients with suspected coronary artery disease from coronary CT angiography – now being supported by the MTFM
- gammaCore – non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation therapy for treatment of cluster migraine – now being supported by the MTFM
- SpaceOAR – absorbable spacer to reduce rectum radiation exposure during prostate radiation therapy
- Non-Injectable Arterial Connector – arterial connecting system to reduce bacterial contamination and the accidental administration of medication
- Plus Sutures – surgical suture that reduces the rate of Surgical Site Infection (SSI)
- SecurAcath – device to secure catheters for patients with a peripherally inserted central catheter – now being supported by the MTFM
- Endocuff Vision – device which attaches to the distal end of an endoscope and improves colorectal examination for patients undergoing bowel cancer tests.
Additionally, two themes received support through the Evidence Generation Fund:
- Digital apps to support emergency / crisis mental health assessments
- Interoperable personal health record tool.