Delivered in partnership with the AHSNs, the Innovation and Technology Payment (ITP) programme supports NHS England’s commitment to accelerate the adoption and spread of proven and affordable innovations, as set out in the Five Year Forward View and NHS Long Term Plan.
The ITP supports the NHS to adopt innovations by removing some of the financial and procurement barriers to introducing innovative medical devices, diagnostics, and digital products.
The 2020/21 ITP programme builds on the Innovation and Technology Tariff (ITT) and ITP 2019/20 and is continuing to support the following themes:
- Placental growth factor (PIGF) based tests to help rule out pre-eclampsia quickly so that pregnant women receive the most appropriate care
- HeartFlow FFRCT – analysis which creates a 3D model of the coronary arteries to help clinicians to rapidly diagnose patients with suspected coronary artery disease from coronary CT angiography
- gammaCore – non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation therapy for the treatment of cluster migraine
- SpaceOAR – an absorbable spacer to reduce rectum radiation exposure during prostate radiation therapy
- Non-Injectable Arterial Connector – an arterial connecting system to reduce bacterial contamination and the accidental administration of medication
- Plus Sutures – a new type of surgical suture that reduces the rate of Surgical Site Infection (SSI)
- SecurAcath is a device to secure catheters for patients with a peripherally inserted central catheter
- Endocuff Vision – a medical device which attaches to the distal end of an endoscope and improves colorectal examination for patients undergoing bowel cancer tests
Additionally, two themes are receiving continued support through the Evidence Generation Fund:
- Digital apps to support emergency/crisis mental health assessments
- Interoperable personal health record tool.
Further details of ITP 20/21 can be found in the Innovation and Technology Payment Programme 20/21 Technical Guidance.